Adab or Adat!

Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Last night, we (me & hubby) reach home quite late. Its 9:15pm. Hubby had to attend meeting with customer and I know he looks exhausted. While we reach home, our house gate ws widely open. Thought Nisa is just playing around and waiting for us. But I was wrong.
Upon step out from the car, my mum shot at us. "Jangan kunci pagar, Mak Teh nak datang". I'm like.. what??..

I'm so pissed off!! Really!! I can't even smile last night. My body was aching.. with rumbles tummy.

I just walk in. Hubby being as cool as he asking me if my mom had informed me about this earlier and of course my answer is "No!". He then tried to looks cool, throw some idea of buying some stuff for the guest. Me losing my coolness just screaming from our unsorted messy kitchen, "Tak payah!! Saper suruh datang time-time camni. Tak reti nak inform awal-awal ke? Siapa bagi izin? Ni tetamu siapa? Pandai-pandai je accept orang datang rumah. Hidang je apa yang ada. Time-time camni pon nak datang rumah orang. Tak pikir ke orang nak rehat"

I think my mom heard that!!

At 9:30PM they still not arrive. And I just can't wait anymore. Every conversation replied with high pitch tone from my throat. End up I walk to upstairs and lock myself in the room. Around 9:45PM they arrive infront of the gate. Mom call at me to "notify" me that the sedara is here. I'm not answering. Not even walks down to just bersalam with them. Until they went home almost 1 hour later. I know its rude.

While lying down, my head keeps on thinking on Adab berkunjung in Islam vs. Adat in malay. Tried to justify, am I do the right things here.

Adat
1. I know, its doesn't portray a good manner of not entertain or accepting visitors some more with sedara-mara.
2. They came from far, and only have a chance to visits you when they are here.
3. Bukan selalu diroang datang.

Adab
1. You should not get into other people house unless is permitted. - In this case - none
2. Visit during suitable hour.- Obviously not
3. As a wife, I have to get permission from hubby before letting people/visitors into our house. - you read as above

Having common malay muslim mother that always priotize sedara mara first "Biar mati anak jgn mati adat" culture and mengamalkan "perkara-perkara biasa" in malays family life, definitely not showing any respect for me as tuan rumah and some more respect to my husband as Ketua Keluarga in the house. I felt so guilty on this. Its no fun having a mother that used and always to give "arahan" to her adik beradik and anak-anak and now do the same thing to her son-in-law. Nasib baik laki aku jenis high-tolerance. But as for me I totally disagree of my mother's action. She just think that because of people yang nak datang is sedara-mara, she simply put a decision that its ok just to let them in without let me or hubby know. Haih!!!

I tried to put the blame on my pregnancy hormones. But I can't. I never inform you that my mother daughter relationship with my mom has never been a good one since I was at secondary school. I won't eloborate more here. As its never show a good example to others.

So semalam was on fire.

I know its not worth for you guys to read this. But I have to blow it out!!!

7 cheers!!:

أم الليث said...

i think your action was justified! some people are so inconsiderate!!! 9.45MALAM!!?! honestly that is the rudest thing i've ever heard. dah la tuan rumah kerja, pastu sarat pulakk tu.. not to mention dah lepas waktu Isya' orang nak rehat ke apa ke. i kalau org telepon lepas kul 9 pun i tak reply, inikan nak dtg rumah minum teh dan macam2 lagi

satu benda i perasan la.. org kita ni tak reti plan ahead or give 'notice'. selalu last minute n think ppl should accommodate as a sign of kononnya 'good manners'.

Gartblue said...

*hugs*

Adab or adat? You can't make do with or without the other, rasanyalah.

*bigger hugs*

Nadia said...

aliya: i'm afraid that its justify to the people that read/heard my side of story... tapi ye la kan.. cam tak boleh dtg awal sket ke.. dah malam2 nak bertenggek rumah org.. even my close family pon tak buat camtu.. anak sedara I yg muda belia pon ada manner to notify us earlier... ntahle..

gart: *hugs*.. yes both works hand-in-hand... a very fine line in between them...but prioritize should on adab.. oh well its does not happen in our culture... itu yg sometime makes our decision harder...

zan said...

uhhh kipas2 mamarawk...

some people think all working people have the luxury to accept guests at any time of the day which is so not acceptable. If i were in your shoes, I still welcome them but hidang jer laa apa yg ada. Around 10+ , I will leave her with my mak coz we need to go to work aye?

harap2nya they get your message laa when u did not go n greet them..hemm...

Nadia said...

zan: kipas kuat-kuat sket :p

Its not that I'm not welcoming them or any visitors to our house. Only that please notify us earlier la. They'd must have a good reason why they choose to come during odd hours kan? Telefon dah canggih takkan tak bley call?

I hope they get the message la. Tapi risau jugak, I was thinking of they tak follow adab berkunjung; and diorang pulak thinking that I was not following adab menerima tetamu...hahah.. tak ke haru tu.. Nowadays kan people tend to choose something that apply to themselves je... hiii.. nauzubillah la... mintak la dijauhkan!!

Anonymous said...

*hugs*

probably they thought calling your mom is enough to notify the arrivals.

:)

Nadia said...

rotiroti: they did called my mom.. tapi tu pon after 8pm...